thegaygardener

Changing The World One Pansy At A Time!

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Crimes & Misdemeanors

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I’m not saying that this is any reflection on RYAN SEACREST’s performance on Sunday’s Emmy Awards, but seeing the AMERICAN IDOL GAME in the bargain bin at RAPLH’S GROCERY STORE tonight really didn’t come as a shock. The fact that it was right next to some sort of $1.99 diapers seemed just poetically perfect too!

If you are a semi-famous white male & you want to murder a woman & get away with it, then move to Los Angeles! News is coming in that the PHIL SPECTOR jury is hung (and I don’t mean in a good way!!)
The aged music mogul is accused of murdering actress Lana Clarkson. The defense has promoted the argument that the actress committed suicide! And I mean, hey let’s face it; whenever a beautiful, fading, actress decides to end her life, she would naturally choose to do so in the home of the strange (literally) man she just met. Absurd! But he’s going to get away with it.

Most of you will be too young to remember the very first Reality T.V. series, AN AMERICAN FAMILY which aired on PBS in 1973. And in truth, I only saw a later rebroadcast; but let me tell you, it was riveting! TV GUIDE later named it one of the 50 Best TV Shows of All Time. The producers of the documentary chose what seemed the quintessential American family; the Louds. Bill & Pat Loud & their 5 children living the good life in Santa Barbara, California looked perfect. Very attractive, successful, & living the American dream in one of our prettiest cities.
But like many (most?) families things behind closed doors were not so pretty & soon the cameras were capturing the imploding of a family. Pat caught Bill cheating on her again, kicked him out of the house & demanded a divorce. And Lance, their son, basically came out on national television. You could NOT make this stuff up. It happened, it was real, & it was all on film. Lance Loud later went on to become a successful writer & columnist & gay icon. He contracted HIV but died of complications of Hepatitis C in 2001. I went to a party last week. Lots of people I don’t know. I see a friendly face & attach myself to her. She’s a beautiful woman with long gray hair. One of those older women that when you see them you think: “God! When they were young they must have been gorgeous!” I don’t quite catch her name. After a while, I think she’s so kind & so interesting, I must ask her name again. “Pat” she says…”Pat Loud” And it hits me! "Your PAT LOUD from An American Family” She seems surprised I should know her. But I almost wanted to cry. I guess it was because I, we, had a front row seat to some of her pain, but could only guess at the rest. And yet, here she was, at 80 years old (!) still gorgeous, interested, present, & living a LIFE! Not remotely a “victim” And so self-effacing that I knew she would never have introduced her TV pioneer fame, if I hadn’t! God Rest Lance, & God Bless you Pat!

1 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was riveted when I saw "American Family" originally. It was amazing to see a gay man on t.v. It was so sad when Lance died and I applaud PBS when they did a recap after his death.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home