thegaygardener

Changing The World One Pansy At A Time!

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Fines Herbes


I love growing herbs in the garden in spring & summer, don’t you? There is nothing quite like going out to the garden & cutting your own fresh ones as you begin to prepare a meal.

One of the main drawbacks to this project is pests! Bugs, rodents, small animals will be attracted to them because if we like to eat it, these little suckers will too. Also it can be challenging to keep & maintain a large year round herb garden.

One solution to this problem is “raised beds” or boxes. Protected & lifted off the ground; they will present a greater challenge to our wild friends.

You’ve seen me use old wine crates or boxes to grow herbs in before. And I do love the vintage yet temporary aspect of the boxes (after whitewashing them of course!)

Another fun thing to do is to use old, large tin cans! You know me & know I love a colorful package! So I was thrilled to find these boldly bright olive cans.

I drilled a few holes in the bottom for drainage. Filled them with soil or compost & placed a single herb planting in each one. You could also place a few smaller herbs in one larger can for an entire mini herb garden. Or if lucky enough to find varied sizes mix it up!
You can assemble them on an old metal tray or line them on a wide fence rail or windowsill too! Charming!

Hmmm, now back to stirring my puttanesca (whore’s) sauce!! Hey! Watch it you!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home