thegaygardener

Changing The World One Pansy At A Time!

Thursday, June 04, 2009

SLUGFEST 2009



Yea its that time of year again and you gardeners know what I’m talking about! SLUG & SNAIL time or as I like to call it SLUGFEST.

Because if these little s.o.b.s actually had heads; I’d bash them in. They are so disgusting & destructive, with their slimy bodies & alien heads, slithering over all my beautiful plants & shrubs, devouring their leaves all the while leaving that silver mucousy trail in their wake. WHAT GOOD DO THEY DO? What purpose do they serve?

I’ve told you before about my BEER SOLUTION. (No not the one where I’ll only drink beer to prove I’m not a lush…that one didn’t work out too well) But the natural remedy to remove slugs & snails by planting a container of beer in the dirt to attract the pests (they love the smell!) & having them fall into the container & drown! Not the perfect solution however, because you have to empty that beer container everyday & look at their bloated drowned bodies as you dispose of them.

So lately I have taken to going on “Night Patrol” The critters can’t stand the sun so only come out to wreak their havoc at night. I grab my flashlight & go into the garden and start to pull them off my darlings with my bare hands! They’re very clingy & they do resist. I send them sailing over the fence with some force or sometimes just crush them with the heel of my shoe. Some nights I am gathering so many (20-30) that by the time I am finished I am seriously considering looking for a French restaurant in Los Angeles just to go & order escargot & have some sort of REVENGE!

Oh & did you know the main visible difference between slugs & snails is the shell? Snails have one & slugs do not. But if you have one kind of infestation you usually have both! TIP: Check the bottom of every potted plant. Lift up the pot. If you see a longish, grayish, slimy thing, that’s a slug! Make him suffer! Off to get my flashlight now. Happy Hunting!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Welcome back !!! On the slugs' just take a salt shaker out with you. A couple of shakes and watch as they are dehydrated in front of you. I actually sprinkle salt around the base of my more prized darlings. Take care.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Charlie Trainer said...

Gary! You're a genius!!! This really worked! Plus I must confess I felt a guilty pleasure getting rid of these destroyers this way! Thanks so much!
TheGayGardener

 

Post a Comment

<< Home